2010 EQIP Organic Initiative Sign-up Announced
January 23, 2010
By Ariane Lotti, NSAC
USDA’s Natural Resources Conservation Service has opened the 2010 sign-up for the Environmental Quality Incentives Program Organic Initiative.
2010 Organic Initiative Snapshot:
- $50 million has been allocated for 2010;
- The sign-up is open through March 12, 2010;
- Existing certified organic farmers and farmers transitioning to organic production are eligible;
- Applicants who applied in 2009 and were deferred will receive a letter from NRCS with information about having their applications reconsidered in 2010;
- The Organic Initiative no longer has “6 core” practices and headquarters has provided guidance to states for how to select conservation practices for the Initiative; and
- The program payment rate for the Organic Initiative is 75% and, for historically underserved participants, 90%.
For more detailed information, visit our Organic Initiative webpage.
Conservation, Energy & Environment, Organic