The Farm Bill Affects All of Us
Make Your Voice Heard Today!
This summer isn’t just the season for fresh produce at the farmers market, peak harvests in the fields, and lush pastures for livestock – it’s also time for… the 2018 Farm Bill! Congress is making policy decisions right now that will affect our entire food and farm system for years to come. It’s critical that your Congress members know where you stand!
Both the House and the Senate have now passed their own versions of the 2018 Farm Bill, and now we’re entering the final phase: a conference committee is working to negotiate one final combined bill. The choice is stark: a farm bill that supports family farmers, sustainable agriculture, and a more equitable future, or one that harms farmers and communities and strips away investments from conservation, local food systems, food assistance, and more.
It will take all of us to ensure Congress makes the right choice for the best possible 2018 Farm Bill. Lend your voice by signing our letter!
Tell the Conference Committee you want a Farm Bill that:
- Invests in a sustainable future – by permanently funding programs that connect farmers and eaters, support beginning farmers and farmers of color, underwrite organic and sustainable agriculture research, and provide healthy food incentives for families
- Protects our shared natural resources – by protecting the nation’s largest resource conservation program on working farm and ranch lands: the Conservation Stewardship Program
- Targets support to family farmers instead of Wall Street – by maintaining payment limits and strengthening eligibility rules for farm subsidies
- Ensures food access and dignity for families in need – by protecting the SNAP program from cuts
We will deliver this letter to the farm bill conference committee in just a few weeks, so don’t miss your opportunity to make your voice heard!
How Can I Get Involved with NSAC?
If you care about getting healthy food to everyone, protecting our natural resources, and supporting the next generation of American farmers, then you’ll want to get involved this year!
- STAY INFORMED: Sign up for Action Alerts on our homepage; this is our #1 means to communicate with people like you when it’s time to take action.
- GROW THE MOVEMENT: Share this page with your friends and family and ask them to join our campaign!
- TELL YOUR STORY: Are you a farmer who has benefited from – or struggled with – federal farm programs? We want to hear from you! Contact us to share your experience and potentially be part of our farmer storybank.
- GET TO KNOW YOUR LEGISLATORS: Do you know who your Senators and Representative are? Do you know how they vote on sustainable agriculture issues? Find out who represents you here; send ’em an email and ask them how they voted on the issues that matter to YOU.
- JOIN US ON SOCIAL MEDIA: Did you know that many legislators really do read what folks share with them via Facebook and Twitter? Follow NSAC on Facebook and Twitter – and consider following your legislators, too!