The Farm Bill Affects All of Us
Make Your Voice Heard Today!
Both the House and the Senate have now passed their own versions of the 2018 Farm Bill, and now we’re entering the final phase: a conference committee is working to negotiate one final combined bill. The choice is stark: a farm bill that supports family farmers, sustainable agriculture, and a more equitable future, or one that harms farmers and communities and strips away investments from conservation, local food systems, food assistance, and more.
It will take all of us to ensure Congress makes the right choice for the best possible 2018 Farm Bill. Lend your voice by making a call today!
Congressional switchboard: (202) 224-3121
Look up your legislators and phone numbers: https://www.govtrack.us/
The message is simple:
Hello, my name is [name] and I’m a voter and a constituent. I’m calling with a message to share about the 2018 Farm Bill. We need a farm bill that invests in a sustainable and equitable future, protects natural resources, and directs taxpayer resources wisely — like the bipartisan bill passed in the Senate. Please do your part to make this happen on behalf of farmers and families in [your state].*
Your message TODAY matters – thank you for taking action!
*Note: Specific programs or examples always help. For example, if you want to specifically mention investments in beginning farmers, you can add a line like this: Specifically, please provide permanent funding for programs that support beginning farmers, including the Farming Opportunities Training and Outreach Program, in the final 2018 Farm Bill. Here’s a handy reference post with lots of info if you’re looking for which specific programs you might want to mention.
Tell the Conference Committee you want a Farm Bill that:
- Invests in a sustainable future – by permanently funding programs that connect farmers and eaters, support beginning farmers and farmers of color, underwrite organic and sustainable agriculture research, and provide healthy food incentives for families
- Protects our shared natural resources – by protecting the nation’s largest resource conservation program on working farm and ranch lands: the Conservation Stewardship Program
- Targets support to family farmers instead of Wall Street – by maintaining payment limits and strengthening eligibility rules for farm subsidies
- Ensures food access and dignity for families in need – by protecting the SNAP program from cuts
How Can I Get Involved with NSAC?
If you care about getting healthy food to everyone, protecting our natural resources, and supporting the next generation of American farmers, then you’ll want to get involved this year!
- STAY INFORMED: Sign up for Action Alerts on our homepage; this is our #1 means to communicate with people like you when it’s time to take action.
- GROW THE MOVEMENT: Share this page with your friends and family and ask them to join our campaign!
- TELL YOUR STORY: Are you a farmer who has benefited from – or struggled with – federal farm programs? We want to hear from you! Contact us to share your experience and potentially be part of our farmer storybank.
- GET TO KNOW YOUR LEGISLATORS: Do you know who your Senators and Representative are? Do you know how they vote on sustainable agriculture issues? Find out who represents you here; send ’em an email and ask them how they voted on the issues that matter to YOU.
- JOIN US ON SOCIAL MEDIA: Did you know that many legislators really do read what folks share with them via Facebook and Twitter? Follow NSAC on Facebook and Twitter – and consider following your legislators, too!