What’s Going on Right Now:
October is National Farm to School Month!
Farm to school is a no-brainer – it’s a win-win for kids, farmers, and communities!
That’s why we’re so excited that the bipartisan team of Senator Patrick Leahy (D-VT), Senator Thad Cochran (R-MS), Representative Jeff Fortenberry (R-NE), and Representative Marcia Fudge (D-OH) introduced the Farm to School Act of 2015! The Farm to School Act of 2015, with support from more members of Congress, will become part of the Child Nutrition Act reauthorization package later this year.
We need help from YOU to make sure the Farm to School Act makes it into the Child Nutrition Act this fall! We’re joining together with our partners across the country and members like you during National Farm to School Month to celebrate the benefits of farm to school and tell Congress that it’s time to finish CNR and strengthen the USDA Farm to School Program.
Pledge to join our Big Day of Farm to School Action on Oct. 22, 2015, and let the world know that farm to school is a win for kids, farmers and communities!
- Sign your organization on to this organizational support letter!
- Endorse the Farm to School Act of 2015 as a “citizen supporter” and show your support for the positive change it can bring to schools and communities!
- Pledge to participate and help us spread the word by sharing this message and our Big Day of Action graphic on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram: Join me on 10/22 to spread the word that #farmtoschool is a triple win! Pledge: http://goo.gl/EbF9gL #moreF2SinCNR
- Mark your calendar for the Big Day of Farm to School Action on Oct. 22! We’ll be updating this action page will lots of great ideas for how to engage in the day of action as it approaches, so stay tuned in!
How Can I Get Involved?
If you care about getting healthy food to everyone, protecting our natural resources, and supporting the next generation of American farmers, then you’ll want to get involved this year!
- STAY INFORMED: Sign up for Action Alerts below; this is our #1 means to communicate with people like you when it’s time to take action.
- GROW THE MOVEMENT: Share this page with your friends and family and ask them to join our campaign!
- TELL YOUR STORY: Are you a farmer who has benefited from – or struggled with – federal farm programs? We want to hear from you! Contact us to share your experience and potentially be part of our farmer storybank.
- GET TO KNOW YOUR LEGISLATORS: Do you know who your Senators and Representative are? Do you know how they vote on sustainable agriculture issues? Find out who represents you here; send ‘em an email and ask them how they voted on the issues that matter to YOU.
- JOIN US ON SOCIAL MEDIA: Did you know that many legislators really do read what folks share with them via Facebook and Twitter? Follow NSAC on Facebook and Twitter – and consider following your legislators, too!
Sign up below to stay in touch through NSAC’s Action Alerts and, if you really love food and farm policy, our Weekly Roundup of the latest news. We never sell or share your information!