November 15, 2012
“It’s time for an equitable, sustainable 2012 Farm Bill – NOW!” – this week, we learned that over 20,000 people across the country agree!
Farmers, advocates, and 60 organizations from across the country joined forces this week to deliver a petition to Congress demanding a full, five-year 2012 Farm Bill that: invests in the future of healthy farms, food, and people; protects our precious air, soil, and water; and makes real reform to farm subsidies and levels the playing field for family farmers.
Today, November 15, those same partners are collaborating on a national day of action to drive the message home with thousands of calls from farmers and advocates across the country.
It’s not too late to join the Day of Action – make a call today, and make a difference!
The full text of the petition delivered yesterday:
For the sake of our nation’s health, our farmers, and our natural resources, we need you to do your job. We need a better farm bill, and we need it this year!
An equitable, sustainable, 21st century farm bill must:
INVEST IN THE FUTURE OF HEALTHY FARMS, FOOD & PEOPLE
- Harness the economic power of local and organic food and small businesses to strengthen rural and urban communities and create jobs
- Grow the next generation of American farmers by providing the tools, training, and access to capital that beginning and socially disadvantaged farmers and ranchers need to succeed
- Ensure access to fresh, healthy food for all – including those in need and in our schools
PROTECT OUR PRECIOUS AIR, SOIL & WATER
- Reward farmers for their environmental stewardship by fully funding farm conservation programs
- Do not raid long-term conservation efforts to pay for short-term disaster fixes
- Link federal crop insurance support to conservation of wetlands and fragile soils
REFORM FARM SUBSIDIES & LEVEL THE PLAYING FIELD
- Eliminate wasteful direct payments
- Target support to working farm families by closing loopholes that benefit mega-farms and millionaire investors
- Cap farm and crop insurance subsidies to improve fiscal responsibility
The National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition, 60 partner organizations, and over 20,000 citizens.
To stay connected with NSAC and learn about additional opportunities to take action on the farm bill, sign up for our Action Alerts!
Categories: Farm Bill