The COVID-19 pandemic has disrupted our country’s food system from farm to fork. Social distancing and other response strategies have upended agricultural markets throughout the country, including local and regional markets; and transformed the way individuals and families shop for, purchase and consume food. That transformation has brought with it a big uptick of interest in buying direct from local farmers, ranchers and fishermen as a way to support struggling producers and ensure family food security.
The following is a listing of websites, guides and directories to help people find local food. NSAC member and partner Farm Aid also is also maintaining a great site listing ways to access local food that is updated regularly.
If you are aware of other websites and directories that should be added to the list, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with “Local Food List” as the subject line.
National Resources for Finding Local Food
- American Indian Foods – national directory of Native American-produced food, put together by the Intertribal Agriculture Council.
- Buy Fresh Buy Local National – lists nearly 20 separate chapters around the country with local food directories:
- Food Animal Concerns Trust – National directory of local food vendors with emphasis on meat, dairy and egg producers that also offer delivery and curbside pick-up.
- Local Harvest – longstanding directory of farmers selling direct to consumer
- Niche Meat Processors Assistance Network – consumer resources for finding “Good Meat”.
- USDA Local Food Directory – national directory of farmers markets, on-farm markets, CSAs and food hubs.
- Slow Food USA – search tool to find a local chapter and local food near you.
- Certified Naturally Grown – directory of more than 700 farms listed in 46 states nationwide.
- A Greener World – national directory for local stores, restaurants, and farms offering sustainably certified products, as well as a list of online shopping options for regional delivery/pickup or nationwide shipping.
- American Grassfed Association – national directory and map to find AGA certified livestock producers near you.
State by State Resources for Finding Local Food
- Alabama Sustainable Agriculture Network – listing of local farmers markets and farms throughout Alabama.
- The Farmers Market Authority of the State of Alabama – listing of farmers markets, farms, and roadside stands throughout Alabama.
- Buy Alaska Grown – listing of farmers markets, farms and retailers.
- State of Alaska’s Farmers Market Nutrition Program – information about the Seniors and WIC farmers market nutrition programs.
- Local First Arizona – listing of farms, retailers and similar local food businesses:
- Good Food Finder – listing of local food sources across the state.
- Arkansas Food Access Map – listing community meals, food pantries, farmers markets and local farms
- Arkansas Local Food Network – local food guide and online farmers market with pick-ups in Little Rock.
- Ozark Pasture Beef – small scale producer partnership of farms raising grass-fed grass-finished beef, lamb, and goat; pastured eggs for pickup, delivery, or online ordering.
- California Agritourism Directory – a directory of agritourism and local direct farms throughout the state.
- Community Alliance with Family Farmers – listing of recommendations and links to support farmers markets, CSA and local farm purchases throughout California.
- Underwood Family Farms – A farm in Ventura County has a Healthy Harvest Box that can be picked up at the farm or shipped anywhere in the United States except Hawaii, via FedEx.
- Altadena Farmers’ Market – Farmers market with online ordering, picking and choosing among local produce, cheeses, honeys and other foods from a number of vendors for curbside pickup, in a kind of custom-built, no-contact CSA offering.
- Eater – listing of 10 Los Angeles Restaurants Selling Produce Boxes to Support Local Farmers
- Colorado Department of Agriculture – 2019 Farm Fresh Directory
- Denver Sustainable Food Policy Council – resource page including food access info and how to find local farm.
- Colorado Proud – listing of farmers markets, local farms, value-added products and more
- Colorado Produce Association – listing of where to find Colorado grown fruits and vegetables
- CSU Food Matchmaking – tool to match up needs and surplus in the Colorado food supply due to food system changes associated with COVID-19.
- Connecticut State Government – site that includes listings of where to get produce and meat from local farmers.
- CitySeed – organizations that are operating an outdoor, pre-order farmers market in New Haven.
- Northeast Organic Farming Association of Connecticut – map and directory of farms, farmers markets, and farm stands.
- Buy Delaware Guide – listing that includes farmers markets and more.
- Future Harvest – a map of more than 500 farmers and markets selling local food in the Mid-Atlantic, including in Delaware.
District of Columbia
- DC Food Project – resources for food access and assistance and farmers’ market information.
- Future Harvest – a map of more than 500 farmers and markets selling local food in the Mid-Atlantic, including in D.C.
- Florida Food and Farm – listing of where to get local food in Florida.
- Red Hills Small Farm Alliance – non-profit that connects local farms to buyers in their community and includes a virtual market offers food from about 75 producers.
- Florida Farm to You – Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services website to help consumers access Florida food and farm products.
- Georgia Organics – Good Food Guide listing Georgia farmers and good food small businesses.
- Atlanta Community Farmers Market – site with information about getting local food through Atlanta farmers markets during the pandemic, including online and pick-up order information.
- GoFarm Hawaii – a tool for finding your local farms, farmers markets and more.
- Hawaii Homegrown – a listing of farmers markets and CSAs.
- The Food Basket – Hawaii Island’s lone food bank, has its own CSA program called “Da Box.”
- Big Island Farm Direct – multi-farm partnership with online stores, CSA shares and drive-up deliveries.
- Adaptations – organization offering weekly and biweekly subscription produce boxes delivered to convenient minimal contact locations around the big island.
- Idaho Preferred – listing of farmers, farmers markets and more.
- Only Local Farmers Market – a year-round, 7-days a week, farmers market just north of Cocolalla Lake, between Coeur d’Alene and Sandpoint in Sagle, Idaho.
- Boise Farmers Market – has an online ordering and drive-through pick up system.
- Idaho Statesman’s CSA Guide – article from The Idaho Statesman features local CSA farms.
- Green City Market – created a guide to farmers offering online ordering with pick-up or delivery.
- Illinois Buy Fresh Buy Local Guide – a directory of farms, farmers markets, farm-to-table restaurants, artisans, and local food.
- Illinois Institute of Rural Affairs Local Food – Site listing ways to find local food in IL.
- Known & Grown STL farmers – Missouri based organization with a listing of environmentally-responsible farmers in Eastern Missouri and Central Illinois serving St. Louis area.
- Logan Square Farmers Market – list of CSA’s available from their farmers and a virtual marketplace to purchase directly from farmers (in-person farmers market currently closed).
- Advocates for Urban Agriculture – interactive urban agriculture map for Chicago.
- Indiana Grown – listing of local farms in Indiana.
- Indiana Online Regional Markets – the following three sites have online regional markets: Market Wagon, Hoosier Harvest Market (central Indiana) or Green Bean Delivery.
- Iowa State Extension – directory of where to find local food.
- Practical Farmers of Iowa – listings of local farms and businesses offering local foods, in addition to a well-curated list of statewide and regional local food resources.
- NCAT Kansas – directory of how to find local food in Kansas.
- Kansas City Metro CSA and Market Box Farms – open source site listing farms with CSAs and similar programs.
- Kansas City Food Circle – directory of local Kansas farms.
- From the State of Kansas – statewide interactive map to find products grown, raised, produced, and sold in Kansas.
- ICT Food Circle – local food directory for the south central Kansas foodshed.
- Growing Lawrence – directory to connect to producers in the Lawrence area.
- High Plains Food Coop – buying cooperative delivering local food to families in the High Plains foodshed.
- Kansas City Food Hub – cooperative of family and non-profit farms that aggregate produce, protein, and value-added goods in the Kansas City area.
- Rolling Prairie Farmers Alliance – locally grown produce subscriptions serving northeast Kansas.
- From the Land of Kansas – statewide farmers market directory and interactive producer map.
- Republic County Economic Development – local food directory and map for Republic County.
- Kentucky Proud – listing of where to find local food.
- Organic Association of Kentucky – Directory of farms, including CSAs and certified organic farms.
- Louisiana Grown – directory of where to buy local food in Louisiana.
- Crescent City Farmers Market – information about online orders and a drive-thru options to purchase direct from farmers in New Orleans.
- Maine Cooperative Extension – Tool for finding local farms and seafood in Maine farms.
- Maine Organic Gardeners and Farmers Association – online tool for finding certified organic growers in Maine, farmers markets and CSA farms.
- Future Harvest – map of more than 500 farmers and markets selling local food in the Mid-Atlantic, including in Maryland.
- Chesapeake Farm to Table – An organization that was previously focused on aggregating food from small farms for restaurant sales that is now creating and delivering farm restaurant quality meal boxes made of local food.
- Maryland Farmers Market Association – Where to Buy Local Food While Social Distancing, an interactive guide to direct-buy options (on-farm pick-up, home delivery, CSAs, and beyond) during COVID-19.
- Maryland’s Best – website dedicated to connecting Maryland farmers with consumers.
- Massachusetts Coalition for Local Food and Farms – lists all the regional local food guides together in one place.
- MassGrown – a map of where you can find farmers markets and local farms.
- Boston Public Market – the well known market has moved outside and has online ordering and delivery service.
- Community Involved in Sustaining Agriculture – Local Food Guide for central and western Massachusetts.
- Northeast Organic Farming Association of Massachusetts – Food Guide and other resources for accessing local food.
- The Local Difference – site for finding farmers markets, farms, and more.
- Michigan Farmers Market Association – map and directory of where to find local markets.
- Michigan Farm to Family – an online marketplace with products from Michigan farmers and food artisans who use production methods that are healthy, humane, and sustainable.
- Detroit’s Eastern Market – is still open for business every Saturday from 8am-2pm, and are partnering with Eastern Market wholesalers to offer no-contact bulk produce pick-up on Tuesdays from 10am-2pm.
- Minnesota Grown – Tool and directory for finding Minnesota grown farm products.
- The Food Group – Fare for All initiative operating drive-thru programs at three sites.
- Arrowhead Grown – farmers market directory for northeast MN.
- Minnesota Farmers Union “Minnesota Cooks” Program – list for buying while social distancing and a farm to table directory.
- Sprout – regional food hub providing CSA and a retail marketplace.
- Farmers Pal – listing of local farms through Mississippi
- Mississippi Farmers Markets – MS Department of Agriculture listing of farmers markets in the state.
- Missouri Food Finder – Extension run site listing of local farms in MO.
- Known & Grown STL farmers – listing of environmentally-responsible farmers in Eastern Missouri and Central Illinois serving St. Louis area.
- Curbside St. Louis – resource to find restaurants, grocers and farms that are open for selling.
- Ole Tyme Produce – longstanding business that delivers produce, using online ordering, from local growers and farms to the St. Louis area.
- Missouri Grown – resource to find products grown and produced by Missouri farmers.
- Made in Montana – listing of where to get Montana made products including food and farm products.
- Abundant Montana – directory and map of where to find local food In Montana.
- Montana Organic Association – organic business and resource directory.
- Montana Local Food Challenge – Local Food Map of where to find farms and farm products.
- Buy Fresh Buy Local Nebraska – listing of where to find local food in Nebraska.
- Nebraska Department of Agriculture – listing of where to find local meat and local food.
- New Hampshire Made – directory of where to find local food products in NH.
- New Hampshire Food Alliance – Buy Local Guides that links to state-wide and local guides.
- University of New Hampshire Extension – NH Farm Products Map to respond to COVID-19.
- Vital Communities – Valley Food & Farm Guide, a guide to farms, food, and farm-based businesses. Serving NH and VT (Upper Valley).
- Three River Farmers Alliance – network of local farmers with online ordering working cooperatively to distribute local food to the greater Seacoast NH region.
- Seacoast Eat Local – listing of farms, food pantries, and farmers markets covering the Seacoast of New Hampshire.
- New Hampshire Farm Bureau – listing for local meat and produce in the state of NH.
- New Jersey Farm Bureau – directory of local farms.
- Jersey Fresh – search tool that allows people to find Jersey Fresh produce closest to them.
- Farm to Table New Mexico – listing of where to find local food in New Mexico.
- New Mexico Farmers’ Marketing Association – listing of farmers markets in New Mexico.
- Taste New York – listing of where to find local food products and farms in New York.
- Just Food – Value Chain Map of NYC’s largest CSA network as well as regional farmers and Community-Run Farmers’ Market.
- Cornell Cooperative Extension – listing of where to find local food and farms in the Cornell area.
- Grow NYC – information about NYC farmers markets.
- Hearty Roots Farm – Farm in the Hudson valley that offers CSA memberships to residents of New York City and counties north.
- Local Roots NYC – Organization giving NYC residents access to fresh, local food while buying from the small, independent farms nearby, which have lost significant restaurant business.
- Buy Local Food NY – lists more than 400 farms and producers in Tompkins, Tioga, Schuyler, Chemung and Cortland Counties.
- Ithaca Farmers Market – consumer directory of farms serving Tompkins County that are willing to deliver or have a farm stand with limited foot traffic.
- Erie Grown – farm locator map for the Erie region.
- Skidmore College – Hudson Valley Farm Availability Map made in conjunction with Stone Barns Center for Food and Agriculture.
- Hudson Valley CSA Coalition – search tool to find a CSA in the Hudson Valley.
- Orange Pippin – New York orchards directory.
- Adirondack Harvest – interactive map to find local food in the Adirondacks.
- Central NY Regional Market – large farmers market in Syracuse, NY.
- North Carolina Farm Fresh – listing of local farms and farmers markets throughout North Carolina.
- Carolina Farm Stewardship Association – map of farms with online ordering and pickup and delivery.
- Rural Advancement Foundation International-USA – resource page for eaters and farmers in North Carolina.
- Appalachian Sustainable Agriculture Project – site includes a local food guide to search for specific products, locations, CSAs, farms to visit, and more.
- Organic Growers School – resources for farmers, gardeners and eaters in NC and beyond.
- Piedmont Triad Regional Food Council – online guide to find operating farmers markets and farms making deliveries or offering alternate pickup locations.
- Visit NC Farms App – app available for iOS and Android connecting growers, producers and local food to consumers in North Carolina.
- North Dakota Department of Agriculture – online directory with local farmers, ranchers and businesses that are growing, raising and producing products in North Dakota.
- Ohio Ecological Food and Farm Association – local food guide for Ohio.
- Ohio State University Extension – Ohio local food directory.
- Loklahoma – google sheet with info and contacts for local Oklahoma farms.
- Made in Oklahoma – site for finding Oklahoma made products and more.
- Oklahoma Grown – listing of farmers markets in Oklahoma.
- Oregon Department of Agriculture – listing of sites for finding local food.
- Oregon Fresh – site listing where to find local farmers and farmers markets.
- Friends of Family Farmers – resource page for eaters featuring links to local farms, CSAs, farmers markets, restaurants still operating and serving local food and more.
- Portland Farmers Market – list of 75+ small farms and food producers doing delivery and pickup options right now in the Portland area.
- Pennsylvania Vegetable Growers Associations – listing of places to find local farms and farmers market.
- Future Harvest – map of more than 500 farmers and markets selling local food in the Mid-Atlantic, including in Pennsylvania.
- Farm to Table Western Pennsylvania – local food guide.
- Get Fresh, Buy Local – directory of farms and other resources for accessing local food in Rhode Island.
- Farm Fresh RI – Food hub offering community access to all the local foods they normally only sell to wholesale, with delivery or pick up.
- Southeastern Massachusetts Agriculture Partnership – resource page for eaters with comprehensive links for accessing local food in the region including Rhode Island.
- Rhode Island Food Policy Council – site aggregating information on available food access and food business resources and opportunities.
- Certified South Carolina – listing of where to find local farms and more.
- Carolina Farm Stewardship Association – map of farms with online ordering and pickup and delivery.
- Lowcountry Local First – Resource to support local Charleston businesses and farms.
- South Carolina Department of Agriculture – tool to find local farm fresh food.
- Dakota Rural Action – guide for local eaters to navigate the COVID-19 outbreak, with helpful links to the Dakota Fresh Food Hub as well as extensive lists of farmers markets and CSA in operation.
- South Dakota Local Foods Directory – a consumer’s guide to eating locally.
- South Dakota Specialty Producers Association – map and directory of South Dakota farmers markets and resource to find local producers.
- Pick Tennessee Products – directory of where to find farms, farmers markets, and more.
- Texas Food Directory – no frills list of farms.
- Sustainable Food Center – list of open farmers markets, farms, CSA and more.
- Farm & Ranch Freedom Alliance – guide for finding local food in Texas during COVID-19
- FarmHouse Delivery – company that delivers produce, local meat, groceries and more, sourced from farmers who use beyond organic and sustainable practices.
- Texas Local Food Store – company selling Texas Farms Veggie Boxes for pick-up in Elgin.
- Grow Local South Texas – providing food access in the Coastal Bend through the Grow Local Farmers’ Market.
- Utah’s Own – site for finding local food and farm products in Utah.
- Vermont Department of Agriculture – directory listing farm stands, CSAs and farmers markets.
- Farmers To You – a company with online ordering and delivery of farm-fresh food sourced from regional farms and producers.
- The Intervale Food Hub – This food hub offers year-round deliveries of local food to homes and community sites in the greater Burlington area.
- Vermont Farmers Food Center – online and curb-side pick-up local market.
- Northeast Organic Farming Association of Vermont – map and directory of CSA farms in Vermont.
- Virginia Grown – directory for finding local food and farms in Virginia.
- Virginia Buy Fresh Buy Local – directory of local farms, CSAs, farmers markets and more. Includes regional Virginia guides for: the Charlottesville Area, Hampton Roads Area, Heart of Virginia, Loudoun County, Northern Piedmont, Northern Virginia, and Shenandoah Valley.
- Virginia Farmers Market Association – interactive map of farmers markets in Virginia.
- Future Harvest – map of more than 500 farmers and markets selling local food in the Mid-Atlantic, including in Virginia.
- Washington Department of Agriculture – directory of how to find local farms and food in Washington State.
- Seattle Neighborhood Farmers’ Markets – compiled a list of market vendors with “alternative sales options.”
- Salmonberry Goods – New online shop aggregating food from small Washington farms to sell through its weekly delivery.
- Tilth Alliance – Farm Guide for connecting directly to local farms in Washington State.
- West Virginia Food Mapper – directory and map listing local farm and food in West Virginia.
- Future Harvest – map of more than 500 farmers and markets selling local food in the Mid-Atlantic, including in West Virginia.
- University of Wisconsin Extension – directory of where to find local food and farms.
- The Fondy Food Center – resources on how consumers can access pick-up sites and more for local food around the city of Milwaukee.
- The Michael Fields Agricultural Institute – combined resource page for farmers and consumers with a tailored list of links ranging from the searchable state-wide Farm Fresh Atlas to educational COVID-19 coverage exploring the pandemic through a food system lens.
- Farm Fresh Atlas Wisconsin – online tool for finding local food in Wisconsin.
- Urban Ecology Center – resource for finding a local CSA in the Milwaukee area.