Congress is hard at work writing the next Farm Bill. This is a major opportunity to make overdue progress on issues across the food system, from climate change to racial justice.
The Farm Bill is the single biggest piece of US food and farm policy. It’s passed every five years or so and impacts what we eat, what farmers can grow, who can access land and capital, and the health of our natural resources as a country.
With our 2023 Farm Bill Platform, the National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition envisions a more equitable and resilient food system. Drafted by our coalition of over 130 grassroots organizations, this platform reflects urgent needs of farmers, ranchers, and communities across the country.
By endorsing the platform, you join us in advocating for a farm bill that will:
- Advance racial equity across the food system
- Improve access to USDA funding and programs for farmers of color
- Increase funding for programs and policies that support farmers of color
- Strengthen data collection and analysis to inform racial equity-driven decision-making
- Build a climate-resilient future
- Advance land stewardship through conservation program funding and access
- Increase funding for sustainable and organic agriculture research programs
- Prioritize research that helps farmers adapt to and mitigate climate change
- Invest in healthy rural and urban communities
- Strengthen resilient local and regional food systems
- Expand and enhance USDA procurement programs and practices
- Rebuild local and regional meat processing capacity
- Ensure access to locally-produced, nutritious, culturally-relevant food
- Level the playing field for small and mid-sized farms
- Support beginning farmers in accessing land and capital
- Fix the flawed farm safety net and improve access for diversified farms
- Address corporate consolidation and restore fair competition
Show Congress that thousands of families, farmers, and advocates across the country stand with us in calling for a better food and farm future.