The National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition (NSAC) uses both direct and grassroots advocacy along with public education to accomplish its goals and objectives. NSAC staff engage in advocacy work with legislators and administrative agencies in Washington, DC, while also building the capacity of NSAC member organizations to do effective grassroots organizing work in their regions. This synergy between a well-established DC office and a network of grassroots individuals participating through strong, state-based organizations is the key to NSAC’s many legislative campaign successes.
Take a look at the sidebar to the left for a list of current campaigns and ongoing policy efforts that we’re working on with our members.
NSAC works to reform and construct policies and programs that:
- ensure opportunity and fairness for small and medium-sized family farms;
- promote agricultural practices that conserve our soil, water, wildlife habitat, and energy resources;
- increase the ability of beginning farmers to enter into farming;
- encourage new and existing farmers to transition to sustainable and organic production practices;
- expand cutting-edge on-farm research and extension for sustainable ag;
- enable producer access to local and regional food systems;
- increase consumer accessibility to sustainably produced foods.